EEA Financial Mechanism and Norwegian Financial Mechanism Project “Promotion of Renewable Energy Production and Application in Latvia Through Technology Transfer and Knowledge Integration Activities” (04.2009-03.2010)
The goal of the project is to promote renewable energy and environmental protection by facilitating bioenergy usage and production from biomass in Latvia, through cooperation between Latvian, Norwegian and Swedish bioenergy and environmental protection specialists with the purpose to develop high level expertise in bioenergy issues, promotion of bioenergy production in Latvian agriculture sector and development of a bioenergy training/demonstration centre in Latvian Agriculture University Training and Research Farm “Vecauce”.
1. Bioenergy technology and experience transfer: visits of Norwegian and Swedish experts to inform and educate Latvian specialists. 4 informative/training seminars in 4 regions of Latvia (Zemgale, Latgale, Kurzeme and Vidzeme), with the participation of Latvian and Swedish expert, the target audience – potential producers, agriculture specialists, famers, local decision makers – 25 participants in each. Project conference for project conclusions discussion and dissemination, as well as informing the government decision makers – 30 participants, place – Riga;
2. Booklet for potential bioenergy producers: gathering, analyzing and literature studies, booklet development on bioenergy (1000 pieces). The booklet will be distributed to project target audiences – local potential bioenergy producers, agriculture enterprises, municipalities, agriculture education establishments
3. Bioenergy training center development in Latvian Agriculture University Training and Research Farm „Vecauce”: development of training basis and a demonstration site on bioenergy production from agriculture biomass. Norwegian expert (Skjetlein Resource Center) visit to Latvia, particularly Vecauce, to give consultations to Latvian specialists on bioenergy promotion, public education and demonstration center development;
4. Public education on bioenergy production and application potential: public relations activities in the mass media, development and distribution of a booklet to rural public, municipalities, agriculture students (3000 pieces)
5. Project management and administration: the strategic management and coordination will be done by Project Council, administrative management and activities management will be done by Project Manager, Project Coordinator, Project Financial Manager and Project Administrator.
The total amount of project costs: EUR 55 359,98, total amount of grant: EUR 49 823,98.